Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Market Day

Today I had an experience of a life time. I was able to go to the local market with Noami, a staff member, and pick up a few items.  Let me tell you, carrying around your groceries for 2 hours is a bit of a task.  We first had to drop the kids, Emmanuel & Debra, off at school.  Then weave our way to the 'drop zone.'  we were on our feet and off to the races; to the venders with the best produce.  I had the desire to see the market from a local's perspective and to see if I could find an authentic apron.  Well, there are rows and rows of produce, chicken (alive and butchered), beef (not refrigerated!), and stuff.  Then the next row is the same and then next row is the same.  Wow, for those of us that are directionally challenged it was a bit of a challenge to find my way out.  Did I mention there were rows and rows?  I was also able to see some of the authentic dresses and clothing for the girls, I may need to go back and make another purchases.  I was amazed at all of the stuff for sale and the rows and rows of everything.  WOW.  I was also able to buy the exact apron that I 'wanted'.  I found two that I liked and when I held them both up, the 12 Guatemala ladies also shopping for an apron looked up at the same time and all were looking at the tall red headed white gringo that had an apron in her hands.  All 12 agreed that the Verde (green) apron was the better choice, so I proceeded to purchases the green apron for myself!
Then we needed to wait in the drop zone for Estuardo to pick us up.  I felt really tall and really white standing there.  I know some comments were made by men, but this was the one time I was greatful for the inability to understand their language. 
On a side note, red heads are not very common, but sometimes there are Guatemalans with red hair.  This is often attributed to vodu or witch craft.  So, often we, Vicki, Caleb & Emilee, end up with people touching our hair.  Their rational is to give us acceptance and not condemn us.  So Emilee & I have come accustom to this but Caleb has had much more difficult time with this transition of people in his space.  Each culture is so different and yet we are all the same with a God shaped whole in our spirit that needs to be filled with only God.  My prayer is that our family continues to bring people to the feet of Christ so that their spirit can be filled with our Heavenly Father. 
Vicki

No comments: