Tuesday, June 3, 2014


What do I expect for the Day? 

This is a question I’ve been asking a lot in the past few weeks.  I fully expected to get the house sided and painted before we left for Guatemala.  I fully expected to pack and still be able to sleep the night before we left.  I fully expected to enjoy our Sunday of see ya’ laters.  I also fully expected to get to Guatemala at 11:30 am on Monday morning.  

The story goes like this. . . we were doing very well meeting our expectation for the day as we worked through the airport.  We also made our connection in Houston TX after a quick egg croissant and apple juice.  We then flew for an hour and a half hours and only Kira was sleeping (of course she was sitting by Justin J )  So, I continued to try to get Miya and Naomi sleeping . . . despite my attempts and prayers neither one would give in . . . ugh, not what I expected from two girls who got up at 1 am. 

Finally Naomi gave in and I was so glad.  Then Miya made friends with the 20 something man behind us and she received some attention and snacks from him!  How, does that girl do it?   Just as I expected, the airplane started its usual decent into Guatemala City, after seeing the land quite close we were thrusted into the air again.  About this time Miya falls asleep, now, why now?  We’re almost ‘home’.   A few moments later we heard the captain saying, there’s storms too close to the ground and we are being diverted to San Salvador.  After a peaceful (both girls are now sleeping) 25-minute flight to San Salvador, we landed and waited on the plane for the weather to clear, fuel, and a new flight plan. 

As we sat and waited I had time to think.  I watched people stomp to the bathroom.  I watched people turn around and chat with those sitting around them.  I also watched Miya, Kira, and Naomi sleep through the entire 2 hour process of taking off again.  I came to the conclusion that God has our best interest in mind, even if it is in the delay of naps that I thought should have started much sooner on the airplane.  All 3 girls slept through this change of plan in a very confined space.  Thank you Jesus!

After we took off it was literally a 25-minute flight back to Guatemala City.   The girls woke to clapping as the passengers of United flight 1500 erupted in elation.  The excitement in the girls eyes were unexplainable and refreshing. 

We did arrive at the base as expected, just a few “minutes” later than expected.  Oswald Chambers writes “God does not further our spiritual life in spite of our circumstance, but in and by our circumstances.”

Learn to expect the unexpected!
San Salvador Airport


Vicki



No comments: