Monday, June 29, 2015

The BATTLE belongs to the Lord


2 Corinthians 10:2-12New International Version (NIV)

I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world. For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.


So as we have been sharing with our Guatemalan friends that we are returning to the States to live, they have been giving us many questions.  For many of them, they have never been to the USA.  Their only knowledge is what they hear and read about the USA.  They are trying to understand all of the news currently: and they are completely confused.

I must say, when I do get a chance to connect with social media (so refreshing that it has not been often!) I find myself scratching my head.  Right now the chatter is confusing to me and saddening.  I am not wanting to advocate for one camp or the other, YET that there is indeed a camp that we all belong too.
We are at war, this is no doubt.  Yet, currently it seems that many are staking a claim in a side against other Americans.  Conservative, liberal, republican, democrat, Christian, universalist, non-religous etc, etc.  What if I were to tell you that our battle is not against flesh and blood of this world but of the spiritual realm instead?  
The evil one, the devil and his demons, have tried to convince us for thousands of years that there is no war.  Now it seems that the convincing is that there is a war, but against each other: MY side must win is what we carry.  
How effective would the forces have been in WWII if all of the allies fought with each other instead of the axis?  Not much.  Distraction is one of the top battle strategies that the enemy will throw at us.  While we are busy attacking each other, the enemy is busy making its next advancement.
Distractions.  We fail to pay attention to this word.  Many people come to Guatemala and have a great time and a close encounter with God.  Then we they return to the US, that fire is slowly snuffed out.  Social media, work, stress, expectations, people offering things, people jealous of what they heard happened, etc.  It has never been nor will be simply Guatemala (or fill in the location of a mission trip of your choice...er calling!) that brings us close to God...it is when we situate ourselves in the place away from distractions, let go of the things of this world that can easily cling too, and cling to the Lord.  We must remain in the correct battle: the battle for our souls and the souls of the world.  There is freedom in the Cross of Jesus Christ.
I often think that both camps that are fighting each other instead of the enemy will BOTH be surprised when they stand before the Thrown and see exactly how far each of them were from the heart of Christ.  My desire is for myself, and my family, when we move back to fight against distractions and pursue the cause of Christ.  How am I going to do that? 
Well....for starters.....Love the Lord your God will all of your heart, soul, and mind.  The second will be like the first, the love my neighbor as myself (Matthew 22).

What is on my heart and mind today....
~Justin

No comments: